Additional Information: Race Overview
The Race Weekend - Introduction
The Great River Race again will be run upstream from the Millwall Slipway opposite the Docklands Sailing Centre, Westferry Road E14 3QS to Ham, Richmond. Running the Race upstream means that all crews will have the benefit of the prevailing flood tide. Read on for a brief overview of the plans to date, but please contact us if you have any questions.
Race Eve - Friday September 08, 2017
At the Start - London Docklands:
- Boat and trailer parking in West Ferry Printers car park, 236 Westferry Road E14 8NX (noon Friday - noon Saturday).
- Limited boat parking on slipway (opposite) itself ready for easy launching Saturday morning.
- Crane services at docks opposite the Start, (extra charge ~ see
for more details).
At the Finish - Ham, Richmond:
- Secure boat and trailer parking in field off Ham Street (noon Friday - noon Sunday).
- Usual campsite party with BBQ & live band hosted by the Thames Young Mariners (extra cost), Riverside Drive, TW10 7RX.
- Early Registrations will be taken from 16:30 hours.
- Boat launching with secure overnight mooring prior to Saturday morning tow to Start.
- Special rates at Lensbury Hotel, Broom Road, Teddington TW11 9NU, a short walk from the campsite and BBQ (see below for more details) and Travelodge, Park House, Station Road, Teddington TW11 9AD..
- Crane service @ Ham Riverside on Friday afternoon -- please note this must be booked in advance (extra charge ~ see Services for more details)
Race Day - Saturday September 09, 2017
Pre-Race activities at the Finish (Ham, Richmond):
- Tow down to the Start, of boats launched on Friday, in time for Registration (extra cost).
Bus Service from Lensbury Hotel, Travelodge Teddington, and campsite to Start. Please book your seat(s) well in advance as these cannot be purchased on the day and buses are limited (extra charge ~ see Services for more details).
At the Start (London Docklands) - first boat away 12:40 hours:
- Commentary and announcements from 09:30 hours.
- Assistance with launching at Millwall Slipway from 10:55 hours.
- Boats towed from Ham and craft moored overnight brought to Start.
- Pontoon and beach with shuttle boats to and from to assist registration and marshalling.
- Registration & Scrutineering from 09:30 hours.
- Programme and clothing sales, catering etc. from 09:30 until 13:20 hours.
- Spectator boat will board nearby to watch the Start and follow the Race. Refreshments available. Early booking recommended. (see Services for details).
At the Finish (Ham) - winner expected 15:40 hours:
- Riverside bar, catering, and programme from 12 noon.
- Commentary from 15:00 hours.
- Recovered boats can use secure car park until noon Sunday.
- Crane available for heavy boats. Please note this must be booked in advance (extra charge ~ see Services for more details)
- Spectator boats will disembark at Richmond Landing Stage close to the Finish.
- Convenient showers and changing facilities courtesy of the German School.
- Prizegiving ceremony at approximately 18:00 hours.
- Crew party with live band and disco in special GRR marquee/bar on Ham riverside.
- Campsite continues overnight (extra cost - see
for more details).
GRR Special - Hotel Accommodation Offers
For those who find the undoubted attractions of Vic Griffiths' campsite easily resistible, Destination Richmond
has arranged special GRR rates at hotels and B&Bs situated conveniently at both ends of the course.
If you choose to stay at Teddington, close to the Finish, on Friday night, our Bus Service will take you to the Start in time for Registration.
Contact Bruce Lyons at Bruce@crusadertravel.com or +44 (0) 203 141 9922