Additional Information: Race Overview
The Race Weekend - Introduction
The Great River Race again will be run upstream from the Millwall Slipway opposite the Docklands Sailing Centre, Westferry Road E14 3QS to Ham, Richmond. Running the Race upstream means that all crews will have the benefit of the prevailing flood tide. Read on for a brief overview of the plans to date, but please contact us if you have any questions.
Race Eve - Friday, 6th 2013
At the Start - London Docklands:
- Boat and trailer parking in West Ferry Printers car park, 236 Westferry Road E14 8NX (noon Friday - noon Sunday).
- Limited boat parking on slipway (opposite) itself ready for easy launching Saturday morning.
- Special rates at nearby Ibis Hotel (see below for more details).
- Crane services at docks opposite the Start, (extra charge ~ see
for more details).
- Docklands Sailing Centre, including bar, open to competitors.
At the Finish - Ham, Richmond:
- Secure boat and trailer parking in field off Ham Street (noon Friday - noon Sunday).
- Usual campsite party with BBQ & live band hosted by the Thames Young Mariners (extra cost), Riverside Drive, TW10 7RX (extra cost).
- Early Registrations will be taken from 16:00 hours.
- Boat launching with secure overnight mooring prior to Saturday morning tow to Start.
- Special rates at Lensbury Hotel, Broom Road, Teddington TW11 9NU, a short walk from the campsite and BBQ (see below for more details).
Race Day - Saturday, 7th 2013
Pre-Race activities at the Finish (Ham, Richmond):
- Tow down to the Start, of boats launched on Friday, in time for Registration (extra cost).
Bus Service from Lensbury Hotel, campsite and car park to Start. Last bus timed to accommodate drivers who have dropped boat off at the Start and driven car and trailer back to Finish (extra cost - see Services for more details).
At the Start (London Docklands) - first boat away 11:40am hours:
- Commentary and announcements from 8:30 hours.
- Assistance with launching at Millwall Slipway from 8:30 hours.
- Boats towed from Ham and craft moored overnight brought to Start.
- Pontoon and beach with shuttle boats to and from to assist registration and marshalling.
- Registration & Scrutineering from 8:30 hours.
- Programme and clothing sales, catering etc. until 12:35 hours
- Spectator boats will board nearby to watch the Start and follow the Race. Refreshments available. Early booking recommended. (see Services for details).
At the Finish (Ham) - winner expected 14:40 hours:
- Riverside bar, catering, programme and clothing sales from 12:00 hours.
- Commentary from 13:50 hours.
- Recovered boats can use secure car park until noon Sunday.
- Crane available for heavy boats.
- Spectator boats will disembark at Richmond Landing Stage close to the Finish.
- Passenger boat will return to Westminster Pier at 18:30 (extra charge)
- Convenient showers and changing facilities courtesy of the German School.
- Prizegiving ceremony at approximately 17:20 hours.
- Crew party with live band and disco in special GRR marquee/bar on Ham riverside.
- Bus service at 22.30 from Ham Street car park to the Start calling at Waterloo and Liverpool Street stations.
- Campsite continues overnight (extra cost - see
for more details).
GRR Special - Hotel Accommodation Offers
For those who find the undoubted attractions of Vic Griffiths' campsite easily resistible, Destination Richmond
has arranged special GRR rates at hotels and B&Bs situated conveniently at both ends of the course.
If you choose to stay at Teddington, close to the Finish, on Friday night, our Bus Service will take you to the Start in time for Registration.
Contact Bruce Lyons or Shahnaz Hameed at email@example.com or +44 (0) 203 141 9922